You can visit any of our experienced GP’s to discuss allergies.
What is an allergy?An allergy is experienced when the immune system reacts to an allergen in the environment, also known as a ‘trigger’. Typical allergens include:
- Dust mites
- Pollen from plants and grasses
- Animal fur and dander from domestic pets
- Insect bites and stings such as bees, wasps, ticks and mosquitos
- Food. The ‘Big 8’ allergenic foods are responsible for 90% of food allergies – milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, sesame, peanuts and tree nuts.
- Medicines such as prescription drugs and herbal remedies
- Mould spores
- Cleaning chemicals and products
Signs of Allergic ReactionSigns of allergy are known as an allergic reaction and can include:
- Asthma or wheeze
- Gastrointestinal Upsets
- Swelling of the eyes, lips or face
- Anaphylaxis in rare cases