Your GP can refer you to our Allergy Clinic where we conduct allergy testing on-site using the Allergy Skin Prick Test.
Allergy testing can be performed on patients with suspected allergic rhinitis (hayfever) and asthma.
Testing can include
- Food allergy testing
- House dust mite
- Cat and dog dander (or other animals if applicable)
- Mould spores
- Pollens from grasses, weeds or trees
- In some cases, occupational allergens
Allergy Skin Prick Test
How the skin prick test works:
- A tiny drop of allergen is applied with a prick or scratched into the skin, usually on the forearm
- The area of the skin is watched for 15 minutes to see if a reaction develops
- If a raised, itchy red bump is observed, this indicates the presence of allergy.
- The larger the bump and surrounding flare, the greater the sensitivity.
- For some allergens, an intradermal test is needed, and a small amount of the allergen is injected under the skin through a thin needle.
- You must not take any antihistamine for 5 days prior to the test. Asthma medication is ok
- The test is safe as allergens are applied in very small amounts.
Skin Prick testing is an inexpensive method of allergy testing with results available in minutes.
It’s convenient and well-tolerated even by small children.
Allergy Testing for Insect Bites
Your GP can order a blood test to check for allergy to insects:
- Bee venom
- Paper wasp
- Yellow jacket wasp
How to Book in for Allergy Testing
Our registered nurse Martine Willcox conducts allergy testing using the Skin Prick testing method. This can be followed up with blood tests if needed to further define your allergenic profile.
Children must be over two years of age to be able to participate in the allergy prick test.
Ask your Doctor to arrange testing with Martine.
Our registered nurse conducts allergy testing using the Skin Prick testing method. This can be followed up with blood tests if needed to further define your allergenic profile. Children must be over two years of age to be able to participate in the allergy prick test. Please phone Reception to discuss allergy testing.
Why Choose RTMC
Caring, friendly doctors
New patients welcome
Use online bookings to make your next appointment quickly and conveniently, any time of day. If your appointment type is not available online, please phone the practice to book.
Robina Town Centre
Easy T Centre